Sunday, May 3, 2009

Thomas' Lasagna

Growing up the biggest treat in my family was to have a large steaming dish of lasagna, salad and bread. Mmmmmmmmm.... After getting married, I made this meal for my husband. He enjoyed it and then asked me if I had ever done anything different to the recipe. I asked what he meant and he started rattling off suggestions: pepperoni, Italian sausage, more sauce, etc....
Therefore, I applied his suggestions and came up with the below recipe. It really is quite good.

Thomas' Lasagna

1 lb Mild Italian Sausage
1 pkg sliced pepperoni
2 cloves garlic -minced
3 8oz cans tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
1 pkg (8 oz) GF Lasagna noodles (I like Bionature. It can be hard to find, you may have to order it.)
1 carton (12 oz) cottage cheese (about 1 and 1/2 cup)
2 cups mozzarella
1/3 cup Parmesan

Cook and stir meat and garlic in large skillet until meat is browned. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, pepper and oregano leaves. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. ( If you are making the traditional noodles, you need to make sure that your large pot of water is already boiling before you do anything with your meat, then when you get to the point that your meat sauce is simmering, your noodles will already be cooking. ) Layer lasagna noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and pepperoni until dish is full. Bake @350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Enjoy with a fresh garden salad and Chebe Gluten Free bread sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment